Elementary Before and After School
Artist At Work
- Community Education offers a recreational and enrichment based program for students in grades K-5. Both before and after school care is available at all elementary schools.
Before school programs offer
- A safe and relaxed atmosphere for children
- Daily activities that provide choices for students to participate in active or quiet games
After school program
During the after school hours students are given the opportunity to:
- Strengthen social skills by participating in fun-filled indoor and outdoor sports and games
- Participate in hands-on resource activities such as computer and science projects
- Experience recreational and educational activities such as arts and crafts, drama and music
- Utilize time for homework
- Enjoy a healthy afternoon snack from our newly revised snack menu
Elementary after school programs operate on school days from the time school is dismissed until 6:00 pm. There is a late pick-up fee for children after 6:00 pm. Before school programs open at 6:45 am and operate until the first bell rings.
- Nutritious snack
- Physical activity time
- Centers/project based learning clubs
School Year Fees
Services are supported by your fees. Parents are responsible for remitting payment by the first of the month. No bills are mailed. Enrollment is on a full-time basis. Each monthly payment covers 20 actual school days. We do not charge for days when school is out. Upon enrollment, you will receive coupons to send in with your payment by the first of each month. Part-time enrollment cannot be accepted, nor can fees be pro-rated due to absences from the program or early withdrawals.
- Non-refundable registration fee per child $30
- 20-day (monthly) after school fee $170
- After school fee for 2nd child $145
- After school fee for 3rd child $70
- 20-day (monthly) before school fee $65
- Before school fee for 2nd child $65
- Before school fee for 3rd child $20
Community Education programs are certified and therefore eligible for child care vouchers from the Department of Social Services (560-8300). Financial Assistance is also available to assist families who qualify through the Community Education Department of Durham Public Schools. For more information or to receive an application, call our accounting office at 560-9488.
Registration forms are available here and from the Community Education office located at 2107 Hillandale Road. Parents should complete the form (front & back) and send a $30 registration fee plus the fee for one 20-day cycle to the Community Education office. This registration fee and one-cycle payment are not refundable.
Registrations may be submitted to the Community Education Office all year, but are accepted based on available staffing and school space.
Contact our Accounting Office at (919) 560-9488 or (919) 560-3816.